08 January 2014

My Husband is a Rock Star (in more ways than one).


Nearly 10 years ago my mom sat next to my new boyfriend in my high school auditorium.  It was the spring choral concert & she decided to make polite small talk in an effort to get to know this new city boy that I was dating.

(I know, for those of you that know my husband now, thinking of him as a city boy is quite laughable.  I promise, he hasn't changed, but for where I grew up, he's considered a city boy.  I digress... back to the story.)

Her: "So what do you want to do with your life?"

Him: "Oh, I'm going to be a musician."

Yes, my mom had to sit there & play nice & not laugh at this new boyfriend who was 'going to be a musician.'  It's what every mother wants to hear, right?

She swears that she didn't doubt him, but c'mon.  How could you not?  I mean, I'm fairly certain that I doubted, too.

Time passed & he continued to play more & more music.  After we got married there was an unofficial rule that he could do whatever he wanted so long as there was family time & a full time paycheck coming in.  And that's what he did.  He worked his butt off to not only make music a priority, but also to make that an income.

Being a full time musician doesn't mean that you're always playing on stage for thousands of people.  Sometimes it does, but most of the time it means a lot of other work, too.  Lawyers don't just show up in court, they have behind the scenes work to do.

So for most of our married life, Josh has been a worship leader.  Sometimes at one church where he also does music arranging & other related duties, sometimes it was for-hire work week by week.  And for awhile he even played with Richie McDonald (remember that little band Lonestar?  Josh got to play the famous keyboard part to the song Amazed in front of 50,000 people with the lead singer from Lonestar.  If that's not cool, I don't know what is!).

We moved three & then eight hours away from our families in order to fulfill this dream of being a musician (and making a living at it).  His musical talent is just ridiculous.  It's a great party trick.  Play a song once & he'll play it back for you on the piano.  Give him 15 minutes & he can play just about any instrument.

I tell that story to say how proud I am of him.  I mean, who actually gets to make a living as a musician?  He's appreciated for his musical talents.  That's far more than most musicians are able to say.  It's a hard road.

And let me tell you, it's very cool to be his wife.  To know that my husband possesses this incredible talent is amazing.  And sexy.  Nothing makes me prouder than to give him a kiss in the lobby after church & watch him pick up our little girl & swing her around.  I don't know what I imagined my future husband to be like, but I don't think I ever dreamed this big.  A guy who loves God and music?  Dreamy! (Don't make fun... I'm being serious!)

 
Last Saturday he went to Urgent Care because of severe pain in his stomach.  When something medical happens on a Saturday, we treat it immediately.  Sundays are a big deal-- you can't just throw anyone in his position to fill in.  Once he got to Urgent Care, they sent him straight to the hospital.  After several hours & tests they confirmed that it is a gallbladder issue (again).

We left the hospital at midnight, and you know what that joker did?  He went straight to church to double check that everything was ready to go.  He slept, but by 8am he was on stage leading worship.  He worked a full day.  I did convince him to stay at home on Monday, but that was no easy feat.  He slept pretty much the entire day, which made my heart happy.

It's hard to get him to slow down, but sometimes I have to remember that that's what got him here in the first place-- not slowing down when others do.

My husband is a rock star.  And he'll blush when he reads this & insist that I not post it, but that's what makes him awesome in the first place.  :)


Is it wrong to think the worship leader is hot?  Does it make it okay that it's my husband?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails