03 January 2014

A day without heat.

We got back from vacation this week, turned up the thermostat and... nothing.  The fan was running, but when the house didn't start heating, we knew something was up.  We were out of oil.

It was 10pm so Josh went to borrow some space heaters.  We bundled up & made sure the baby was warm & went to bed.

The next morning I called for more oil & after visits from three different oil companies for different reasons, we had it working again by 5:30pm.

My daughter was nice & warm with a sitter all day.  I enjoyed riding in the car because of the warmth.  I went out to Wal-Mart to buy our own space heater.  I started feeling ill so I took some medicine.

All day long I was reminded of people without these luxuries.  People who couldn't just call someone, write a check, and be warm again.  People who would do anything for a warm coat, a roof over their head.  Who would just love relief from that headache.

It's so easy to get caught up in life.  To think poor me.  There are two ways to look at it:


-We had no heat on a cold day & night.
-It cost $600 to get everything working again.
-I'm sick and just want to lay down & ignore the world.


-or-


-We have a roof over our heads.
-We had $600 to write a check and get heat in our home again.
-We have a babysitter who is wonderful, affordable, and truly loves & cares for our little girl.
-We have warm clothes to put on, blankets to curl up under, and TV to watch when we don't feel good.
-There is medicine in our cabinets & food in our pantry.
-Did you notice this all happened when we got back from vacation?  It was a week long vacation where we didn't have to pay for a hotel.  'Nuff said.
-We have each other.  That is far more precious than anything listed above.


The list can go on & on, but you get the point.  Life is full of luxuries.  You just have to remember them.

I much prefer when life gives me lemonade, but maybe the lemons aren't so bad if we remember all that we're thankful for.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails