24 March 2012

"I just want my kids to be happy"

A friend of mine wrote this the other day:

 I don't really go by the motto "I just want my kids to be happy."  I want my kids to have good character, be hard workers, know the difference between right and wrong, care about others, never be afraid to stand up for what's right and not be self absorbed. Those things don't always make you happy. My kids happiness is not my ultimate goal as I raise them. Of course, I'm not trying to say that the things listed above are excluded from happiness. I just look at happiness secondary.

I couldn't agree more.  I do want Hazel to be happy in life, but the happiness doesn't need to stem from having everything her way all the time.  As a parent, it's my job to make sure she grows into an adult with integrity.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Josh Petty said...

You're right, Susan. The world's happiness can be poison to the soul. Thinking that someone has the right to not be in want of anything they desire is what has put America trillions in debt. Many people think that life is one big block party. What is important for a Christian is to trust and love God through the good times and bad.

~Josh Petty

Related Posts with Thumbnails