20 December 2010

Cat and moving.


I was pondering life last night and realized that I failed to mention the outcome of our cat and the big move.

I know, I know... you're dying to hear how the cat did... every tiny detail?

You're not?  Oh.

If you follow me on Twitter (@susanfowler) or Facebook then you got a play-by-play during the move.  For the rest of you, here's a mini-version.

The cat did absolutely fabulous.  Completely opposite of all of our past experiences and current expectations.  I fully expected to hear her meow the entire 8 hour trip.

But she didn't.  After the first 30 minutes, she began to calm down.

What did I do, you ask, to get these miraculous results?

While we were still in the parking lot, I opened the kennel door for her.  It was pretty much out of necessity, being as it was such a long trip, and the cat would eventually have to use the litter box, which was in the backseat next to her kennel. 

Yeah, I know... a litter box in the car.  I was fresh litter, and it's the kind with a cover and a door on it, so it's basically like another kennel.  I did stop for air freshener before we left, though.  Just in case.

For the first 30 minutes she meowed constantly and since the radio was broken in my car anyway, it was kind of nice.  I talked back to her and we had a grand ol' time.

Then she realized that she could get out of the kennel.  I was a little scared that she'd come at me with claws, but she didn't.

For the next 8 or 9 hours, she roamed the car, and spent about half the time in her litter box chillin'.  I'm assuming it's because it was dark in there.  Her happy place, if you will.

My cat's happy place is in a litter box.

But by the time we got to Virginia, she was a roadie all the way.

The next day was move-in day, and that was the next big step. I put her in the bathroom with her kennel door open and the litter box in there.  Then I shut the door for the rest of the day.  We didn't need a kitty cat running under our feet while moving heavy boxes!

But that night?  She roamed the house like it was her brand new kingdom.  Our little Ellie who hermits for weeks after we move... she was practically bouncing off the walls!

I have to say I attribute it all to opening that kennel door.  It was scary, but maybe it helped her to feel in control? Cat's like control, that's for sure!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails