14 August 2010

Book worm: The Road

When I was little I loved books.  I was the kid that brought a book to lunch in the 5th grade.  Don't worry-- all my friends did, too.

Okay, so I was a dork, but I was in an exclusive club.

But as I grew older and went through middle and high school, I began to hate to read.  Mainly because the books were deathly boring or they were, in fact, textbooks.

I'm not calling out any names, but wow, those history textbooks were brutal!

Yuck.

At any rate, I didn't expect college to be any different.  And for the most part, it wasn't.  Lots and lots of boring books.

But there were a few gems that I loved.  I still have them on my bookshelf, and I thought I'd share them with you just in case you have lost your love for reading as well.


The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  Creepy. Dark. Weird. Might give you a few nightmares.

This is not normally my type of book.  But I had to read it and my professor really impulsed me.  He talked it up big time.  It was a brand spankin' new book by this super awesome author.


And?  It was pretty good.  Creepy. Dark. Not-my-type-of-book-at-all.  But good.


"Like the onset of some cold glaucoma..."  


There is also a movie based off of the book.  I want to see it, but I don't like having nightmares.

Here's a little of what wikipedia has to say about the plot:


The Road follows an unnamed father and son journeying together across a grim post-apocalyptic landscape, some years after a great, unexplained cataclysm has destroyed civilization and almost all life on Earth. Realizing that they will not survive another winter in their unspecified original location, the father leads the boy south, through a desolate American landscape along a vacant highway, towards the sea, sustained only by the vague hope of finding warmth and more "good people" like them, and carrying with them only what is on their backs and what will fit into a damaged supermarket cart.


Yeah... it's dark and creepy.  But really, really well written and engaging.  They type of book that makes you go, "I'm glad I read that."



And I have the First Edition, which is apparently something special...

Not like I really know anything.

I did go on Netflix last night and put the movie based off of this book at the top of the queue.  Josh will be really confused as to why something I requested isn't a chick flick.  Or maybe he'll keep waiting for the chick flick part to start!

This could be fun!

More to come.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails