If you're in debt, the first thing you need is a plan. My preference is Dave Ramsey for two reasons:
1) It makes sense. It's common sense.
2) It changes behaviors, which keeps the debt away forever.
Dave sets out 7 baby steps.
The first step is to save $1000 in an emergency fund. This covers, well, emergencies! It's so you can pay off your old debt without creating new debt in the process.
Life saver. That's what I call it.
Unexpected doctor bill? No problem.
Car breaks down? No problem.
There are a lot of ways to scrape together the emergency fund, even if it feels like an impossible task.
1) Yard Sale! Sell everything but the kids and the yard.
2) Got a vehicle with payments? Consider the costs of selling it vs. keeping it. Dave has a lot of info on that.
3) Work it! Get a side job. Throw every penny you make there straight at the emergency fund (and later at the debt snowball... but that's for baby step 2).