26 April 2010

"Spare Bedroom"

This weekend was a "take care of the house" weekend at our place. Our spare bedroom has been a storage closet since we moved back in December. Allow me to share with you:



That is NOT the before picture. That is after I cleaned out quite a few boxes. What's left are the boxes that I'm just not sure what to do with.



Old notebooks, picture frames...


HUGE books...


Random CD's that I'm not sure I'll ever listen to again... and that helicopter DVD? Josh is obsessed with helicopters, so it's not going anywhere...


I don't even know what this is. An underwater 35 mm one-time-use camera? Rubber boots? Whose rubber boots are those? They're not mine, and they're certainly not Josh's...


I know where these will go... on my new bookshelf!


Wow-- it's embarrassing how dirty these are. They are... goblets? They were my parents. Originally my brother saved them, but we ended up with them when we moved to Georgia. I can't get rid of them. But what to do with them?


More stuff I'll never use again. My flute. Love that thing. Not ever going to play it again. Not ready to give it away (which I will eventually do). The frame says "Today you are..." and you can choose "my prince" or "a frog." I always keep it on "my prince." But I can't bear to get rid of it...


What do these cords even go to?


This game console will never leave our house. That's per Josh's request.


And this. This is my parents old clock. It's broken. But I grew up with this thing. It doesn't match my house. So what to do?

Which leads me to my question. What does one do with items that were preciously dear to a loved one who has passed, but hold no sentimental value to you?

What about the items that you love, but have outgrown?

What about the few things that I definitely can't bear to get rid of yet?

Let me also say that I'm not generally a pack-rat. Last month Josh and I took the wedding gift he gave me to Goodwill. We realized we were only keeping it because he gave it to me on that day. We decided that his best gift was himself, and so the figurine went to Goodwill. It didn't match a single thing we own.

But there are some things that are just so sentimental, but there isn't a good use for them (putting them in a scrapbook, cutting it in pieces to make wall art, etc).

Any ideas? I'm not against tearing things apart for alternate uses. Hey, it's recycling!

1 comment:

Celeste said...

So the best piece of advice on old cords. If you know what they go to, wrap a little flag of masking tape around one end and label it. If you don't know what it goes to write the date. If you come across it a year later and still have no idea, toss it.

Don't keep items because someone else loved them, that's crazy. Of course I am captain unsentimental.

Related Posts with Thumbnails