23 June 2008


I sometimes like to listen to radio talk shows. 106.9 The Light is a Christian radio in my area. Today they were talking about selfishness. They referred to this "test" online. It's the Generosity Quotient Test. You can find it here.

  1. Do you tip the waitress or waiter with the same enthusiasm you order your food?
  2. Do you complain when you have to fill in for your child’s carpool due to another’s schedule change?
  3. If a friend needs you, do you willingly lay aside your plans to accommodate her/his needs?
  4. Are you willing to give an egg, sugar, or other emergency ingredient to a neighbor in a cooking jam without expectation of return?
  5. Are you willing to loan your tools to neighbors? And offer to help with their projects?
  6. Will you watch your spouse/child’s favorite television show at the expense of your favorite?
  7. How do you treat solicitors at your door—with patience or curtness (Girl Scout salesgirls, neighborhood children, window washers, lawn care, and so on)?
  8. Do you make anonymous donations or do you give only when your name will be listed in print?
  9. Are you willing to forgive your spouse when you’ve been inconvenienced? How many times did you fuss at your spouse this week over little nothings?
  10. Are you willing to do undesirable tasks without complaining? (Pick up dry cleaning, stop on the way home for a gallon of milk, and so on.)
  11. Do you go the extra mile for the adults in your children’s lives? (Coaches, teachers, school bus driver, etc.)
  12. Are you willing to work in the concession stand at your child’s game, even though you despise it and would rather be in the stands?

How’d you do? Did you discover you’re more invested in yourself than others?


My results were a bold reality that slammed me in the face. I am one of the most selfish people I know. And I put my poor husband through SO MUCH.

So this week I'm going to start working on being less selfish. Biting my tongue would be a great start. I'm going to work through each of these questions and change my attitude to start with.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We must be at the same place, unfortunately! I know how selfish I am! But this weekend at She Speaks I was given a new verse: Philippians 2:3-5 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."

I'll be praying this one every day...

Unknown said...

Hi!

I am the Operations Manager for 106.9 The Light. I saw your post and just wanted to say thanks for listening!

Tom Greene

Related Posts with Thumbnails