27 August 2013

Miley Cyrus, Blurred Lines, and Little Girls.

Note: I couldn't even begin to get into all the intricacies of this performance & society, but here are just a few of my thoughts.

Processing Miley Cyrus' performance at the 2013 VMA's has taken me awhile.  After the shock & horror, a certain sadness settled in.  She is a real person.  This is her real life.

I was pretty horrified when I saw the Blurred Lines video a few weeks back.  Turns out, I was watching the edited version.  I'll save you a Google search:

Edited version = Scantily clad women running around suggestively.
Unedited version = Bare chested women wearing nude colored thongs running around suggestively.

And they all look a little drugged out.  Add some caffeine to the mix & you have Miley Cyrus' performance.  She is actually wearing  far more clothing than in the unedited version of the video.  Her dancing is more erratic, but it's not too far off from the basic idea of the video.

But it took a Disney star going crazy for us to notice that something is wrong.

Something is very wrong.

This is the world that our little ones are growing up in.  A world where Miley feels like she has to do this in order to prove that she's an adult.  A world where someone wants to do things like this on national television.  A world where that costume even exists.

I saw a lot of funny things afterwards, poking fun at the performance.  I admit, I laughed.  I wanted so badly to share them, but I resisted.  How cruel.  She is a human being.  She lives, breathes, has feelings, and so badly wants everyone to take her seriously.  She is begging to be loved, and this is her way of showing it.

Hug your daughters.  Let them know their beauty shines through from the inside.  Pray for them.  Pray with them.  This is the world they are growing up in.  We need to change what we can, starting with our own.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails