24 May 2013

Pet Peeve.

I try to be level headed.  I try to look at things from all perspectives.  But the one thing that really makes me grind my teeth is when someone can't comprehend that there is another point of view.

You know what I'm talking about... that person that thinks s/he is totally right all the time & that everyone else around them must be stupid.

The person that can't see beyond what's right in front of them.

The one that can't understand why anyone would do something differently than them.  Would believe something differently than them.

"She doesn't let her kid have candy?  That's so dumb."  Is it?  Really?  Ever stop to consider that she might have a reason?

"I would never let my kid do _______.  That's irresponsible & bad parenting."  Woah... don't even get me started there!

...okay... clearly I hear it with parenting a lot!

It's okay to have opinions.  It's fine to voice those opinions.  But it's not okay to dismiss the idea that someone else has a different opinion.  A different viewpoint.  A different reason.  You don't have to agree with them, nor do you have to condone it.  But you do have to realize that maybe, just maybe, they are doing the best that they can.  Understand that everyone doesn't believe the same as you about everything.

I admit, it can be hard to live this out.  And I'm definitely not perfect.  But hey, what would life be if we did everything perfect all the time?

What are your thoughts?  Are there subjects that you find it very hard to accept that others believe differently?  How do you handle it?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails