08 September 2011

Nursery Project

Some people are amazing at nursery decorating, or very creative in home decorating.  I am not one of those people.  Occasionally I can put something together that looks nice, but it's not often.  That's why my house has looked relatively the same over the past 3 years, despite living in 3 different apartments in 3 different states.  When I find something that works, I keep it that way.

But now we're introducing a new member to the family, and this one will need more than a kennel or a litter box.  So I figure that while I'm up at all hours of the night, I might as well have a pretty room to enjoy it in.  Here's a basic idea of things we like that we want to match the room.  I love the colors, I love the lyrics... I love the mix of styles: Ikea, eclectic, new, and old.

This will prove to be our biggest project.  It is a dresser we hope to use as a changing table.  My uncle made it for me for Christmas when I was 6 months old.  There were lots of perks of being the first girl after 3 boys!  But... this thing has seen better days.  It's almost 25 years old, so that's to be expected.  Construction wise, it's dead on-- hinges are great, shelves are sturdy-- the entire thing is built with incredible craftsmanship.


But clearly we're going to need some new knobs!  And a refinish.


I'll give you one guess as to what my little sister's name is.  ................  Angel!  I don't know if I was writing something to her, or if she was claiming it as her own.  :)  Adds character, as I'm sure our little one will add her own artwork when I'm not looking!


The inside.  Basically set up like a mini-armoire!  A bar to hang little dresses, some shelves (I'm thinking for cloth diapers?) and some drawers at the bottom.


It's super hard to read, even in real life, but here's the back, with a note from my uncle written in pencil.

To: Susan
Merry Christmas
1986
From: Uncle Jerry

Did I explain who Uncle Jerry is?  He's my dad's twin brother.  :)  He has a daughter who is expecting her first child very soon, and he made her a crib.  I love seeing family heirlooms begin!


Made By Jerry Pressley
Nov 1986  (and a drawing of a Christmas tree)

Many thanks to my parents who hauled it up here from North Carolina (and for keeping it in the house all those years!).  I'm excited to get some new knobs and get it looking in tip-top shape again!

2 comments:

Nate & Danielle said...

LOVE your ideas for this armoire!! I'm looking for one for our baby's room too, but they are SO expensive. Too bad I don't have a crafty person in my family like yours! Haha

Anonymous said...

How awesome is that. So cool.

Related Posts with Thumbnails