01 April 2011

"You'll never be more fit than you are right now."

It was my freshman year of college and I was in the marching band color guard.  The words coming through the loud speaker at the end of practice were deafening to me.

"You're in the best physical shape of your life right now.  You'll never be more fit than you are right now."

What?!?!?!  I really felt like screaming.  It never occurred to me that at that time (and for the past 6 years) I was pretty much doing 3 hour workouts 3 or 4 times a week.  I wasn't at my goal weight, and I wasn't satisfied with how I looked.  So to hear that this was the best I was going to be... that made me mad.

How dare he make such a confident comment?  How does he know when I'll be in the best shape of my life?  I'll show him!

Yeah... then I gained 20 lbs over the next 6 years.

Turns out, he was right.  He didn't have to be right... I could have proved him wrong.  I still can, but I don't think I will.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to prove him wrong, but I really was pretty fit back then!  I had all those hours running around a football field tossing a heavy flag, then I would usually do other workouts in addition to that throughout the week.

When were you in the fittest shape of your life?  What were you doing at that point in time to get that way?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails