20 April 2011

Red Rover Red Rover

Last night the news mentioned that some classic children's games like dodgeball and whiffle ball are now deemed unsafe.

Say WHAT???!!

So I googled it and came up with this article.  I'm not sure if this is just for New York or what, but it's kind of sad, funny, and true all at the same time.

Capture the Flag, Steal the Bacon, and Red Rover were also among the list of potentially dangerous games.

My first inclination is to think, REALLY?  Are we really going to do this & be ridiculous??


But then I thought back to my younger years.  Have you ever played Red Rover?  We played it all. the. time. when I was a Sparkie in Awana's.  It was ruthless.  No matter how far away from the walls we stood we always had someone run full force into the walls.  There were countless rug burns and injuries (we didn't have room to play outside) and one kid definitely broke his arm.

So maybe they shouldn't play Red Rover at summer camps.  Or is breaking your arm just part of being a kid?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails