29 March 2011

Badge of Honor.

There are a lot of things that describe me.  It's not hard to know things about me... I love pictures, I put them all over my facebook, and they tell a story of my life.

But there's one thing I don't take many pictures of.  My car.

Why?  Because it is a real piece.

But that's what's so cool about it.  My dad bought it for me when I was 16.  Back then it had 73,000 miles on it.  Now it's heading past 296,000 miles.

When it hit 100,000, I started looking for a different car for "when this one broke down."

Nearly 200,000 miles later we're still doing the same thing.  It makes me laugh, it makes me smile.  Our car is so junky... c'mon it has almost 300k miles on it!  How is it supposed to look?  But it has gotten us so many places.  It's been to Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia.

A lot of people think their car reflects them.  I completely agree.  While most are thinking, "I have a nice car that I take care of, and that reflects that I'm a nice, well-to-do person who takes care of myself and other people."  Agreed, but that's not quite what my car says.

Mine shows how hard we've worked to get where we are.  How we've put off purchases that we really wanted, in order to live debt free.

Would I like a nice new shiny cool car?  Absolutely!  But that's still years away.  In the meantime, we're saving up for another car.  A second car-- so we don't have to share anymore!  And after that?  We'll save some more.  And when the day finally comes that our car won't go anymore, we'll have the funds to cover for another one.

**And I'd like to give a shout out to Nissan-- the car I'm talking about is a 1997 Nissan Sentra!**

1 comment:

Rob said...

Love this. Monica and I are going to need a new car. The twins car seats don't really fit in either of our little cars. It's time for a van. My goal is to save for a year and buy that puppy with cash. It won't be a new one but it will be new to us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails