03 September 2010

Who I wanna be when I grow up.


"If I could teach the world to sing... in perfect harmony..."

Know that song?  Now sing these words:

"When I grow up I wanna be..."  I don't remember the rest of it.

My elementary school was notorious for changing the lyrics to songs.  As a result I grew up singing the wrong lyrics a lot in public situations.

"Doe, a deer, a teacher deer.  Ray, a ray of bright sunshine!  Me, oh please remember me.  Fa, don't leave us far behind!"

Know that song?  Ever heard of 'The Sound of Music'?  (I know the punctuation is wrong there, but doesn't it make more sense in this particular situation?)

"So, you're really gonna leave.  La, Alaska you will go.  Tea, you'll have it caffeine free!  And we know you'll spend your dough, oh oh oh."

[Raise your hand if you were in 5th grade the year Ms. Feichter retired.]

She was our music teacher.

I digress (as usual).

Back to "When I grow up I wanna be..."

I wasn't the little kid with a dream for when I grew up.  Is that weird?  Is anything I do not weird?

When I was really little wanted to be a figure skater.  But when I was about 10 and hadn't skated a day in my life, I kind of gave up on that.

And when I was 13 and finally did go ice skating I really gave up on that.  I'm worse than the Girl Scout troop holding on to the railing for dear life.

As in, I'm scared to pass them.

And I suppose I wanted to be a singer.  But again, I didn't really thing that it would happen, except for maybe if the Spice Girls' agent was driving down the side streets of my small hometown while me and my friends practiced our routine.

Never know where you're going to find the next talent, right?

I was kind of hoping to marry rich there for awhile, but let's face it.  I'm not Desperate Housewives material.  I'm just not tall enough, and I don't like gardening or victorian style furniture.

And I have also developed some strange vendetta against large houses.  I'm sure I'll get over that one day.  But for right now, I don't want more bedrooms than there are people in the house.

I promise I'm going somewhere with this.  It may not be related to anything I've said so far, but what else is new?

So now I know what I want to be when I grow up.  I think before I felt too limited to one thing.

Most photos on this page courtesy of Google.com
Okay, so she may not be the best role model, but I want to look like a shorter version of Victoria Beckam.  I loved her when her last name was Adams.  I really can't place my finger on it, but she's cool in my book.  Don't care if I'm not as skinny, but I do want to be a bit smaller.  And I like her hair.  No matter if she has it short or long, she pulls it off well.  Kate Gosselin nearly ruined it, but she will fade and Posh Spice will still be there.

 

My, ahem, chest will never look like that, though... and that's quite alright with me!  Heck, I'm scared to get lasik eye surgery!  Oooh, but I want it so bad... no more glasses or contacts would be awesome!

Wouldn't mind having her jawline, though.

Next up is Ree Drummond.  The Pioneer Woman!  She blogs, takes pictures, cooks, home schools and has 4 kids.


Josh already put the ax to homeschooling, and that's okay.  Our kids would be hermits if I homeschooled them.  And honestly, I don't care to cook much.  I do it for survival and to surprise Josh, but that's about it.

But Ree, she blogs.  For a living.  It's taken her places.  I like that.

And I want 4 kids.  Two boys and two girls, just like she has.  They can be in any order, though.  I even have their names picked out.

Julianna Katelynn
Madison Elizabeth (or Madison Sierra if you ask Josh)
Brooks Lee
Winston Everett (or Everett Winston?  We like both names but may mix & match)

Dooce (Heather Armstrong) is also an amazing blogger who makes more than a living at it.


Both of these women are amazing photographers as well.  Which is another thing I want to be when I grow up.

I don't dream of portrait studios or backdrops, but I know they'll be in my future.  My canvas is the world, and the people in it are the masterpiece.  I'm not personally a fan of nature photography.  Sure, I appreciate it, but it's not what I'm passionate about.  I love people.  I love capturing them, remembering them forever.  I especially love what mother's tell me when they see their children in photographs.  When it takes their breath away.  To know that I've helped make a memory for a family.  That's huge to me, and I plan to do a lot more of it.

Photo by: Blue Frame Photography

And last, but most certainly not least.  I don't even know how to categorize this in the "what I want to be when I grow up" except to say that I want to love my family more and more.  And show them.  It's amazing how well these people get along.  I want to build a home on family property.  Have I shown it to you (only a million times)?


[I do have a confession, nothing in this picture belongs to my family.  It's our neighbors land, looking down the mountain from our property.  But let's just say I could get used to driving out of my driveway and seeing this everyday.]

I should also mention that I spent the first 19 years of my life seeing this.

One by one our family migrates to the top of this mountain.  I want my kids to grow up running downhill to visit their grandparents.  I want my kids and my nieces and nephews to spend their summers painting turtles and making dog pens into paper airplane clubs (which is totally what we did growing up).  I honestly don't know if that will be possible, time wise, but we'll see.

So that's what I want to be when I grow up.  I was blessed and lucky enough to meet my awesome hubby before I grew up, so that's already marked off my list!  In case you were wondering...

Now it's your turn... what do you want to be when you grow up? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to be all of those ladies too. I mean come on, they're all badasses, and look great doing it. Who doesn't want that?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails