02 September 2010

Hi, my name is Megan.



Or is it Meghan?  I hope it's Megan.  I really have a complex with that extra "h."

It's like the extra "a" in Rachael.

What?

Huh?

Oh yeah.  You have no idea what I'm talking about.

Before I was born, my parents didn't know whether I was going to be a boy or a girl.  I think they were hoping for a girl, though.  My mom was anyway, seeing as she already had 3 sons.

They had a name picked out: Megan.

Pretty name, huh?  I like it!

["What name did you have picked out if I was a boy?"  "We didn't have a boy name picked out."]

But at some point in time during the pregnancy, both of my parents had dreams that they had a little girl named Susan.

C.R.E.E.P.Y.

And it makes me feel special.

I mean, heck, didn't people in the Bible have dreams about what to name their kids?

At any rate, all my life, people have accidentally called me Megan.  Something about me just says, "Hi, my name is Megan."  And I've even answered to it a few times.



The other day I was at the office and two of my new co-workers came over and asked, "What is your middle name?"

"Why do you want to know?"  [Deep down, names fascinate me.  And for some reason, I knew Megan was going to be involved in this convo.]

"Is it Megan?"

After I composed myself I told them the short version of everything.  Both of them kept almost calling me Megan and they secretly wondered if it was my middle name.

W.E.I.R.D.

I've now decided that I should have an alter-ego named Megan.  Too bad I didn't think of that a few years ago... that could have been my pen name for this blog!

Every time I share a weird story like this, someone else has something similar to share... so share away!  Fascinate me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My story is about Lena.

How many people do you know named Lena - probably not many.

My Dad was a milkman (really!) when he met my mother who was working in the school cafeteria. When she told him her name was Lena, he responded by saying "the most wonderful woman I know in the world is named Lena - my mother!" She replied, "The most wonderful woman I know is named Lena - my mother and I am named after her!" So goes the romance. Fast forward to 1952 when they gave their daughter a variation of that in her middle name of OrLENA-found in my dad's Carson Newman Yearbook. We followed suit with our daughter's middle name of MarLENA. Rebecca wisely decided this tradition should be STOPPED! Good idea since she had a boy!

Shawntae said...

I was to be named Miranda. Until I was born then suddenly it wasn't right. I went two entire days WITHOUT A NAME! I used to despise my name. Now I don't mind it so much, and actually have a good friend that named her second child after me with the first name Shawntae. Even spelled the same. She's going to hate it.lol

Unknown said...

Well, my name really is Megan, without the unnecessary "h" :) But I used to have a real problem with my middle name, McBeth. No, it's not from the play. My parents both try to take personal credit for it though- My mother wanted to name me Megan Elizabeth (after her mother,) luckily that didn't happen because there are a million other Megan Elizabeth's for some reason. So anyways, they combined the "Beth" from Elizabeth and the "Mc" from my paternal grandmother's maiden name, McSwain. But the best part is they ended up with a girl because if I was a boy, my name would have been "Teague." Teague Barbero. Gross!

Related Posts with Thumbnails