19 August 2010

Mechanics just aren't my thing.

My sister let me borrow her car this week.  Super nice of her!


Hey, look!  There's my dad's car in the background--- it's a 1974 VW Bug.  Want to buy it?  It's for sale.

But back to my sister's car.  We know the previous owner.  In fact, the previous owner's sister was with me the day I met Josh.  And was the one who gave him my number.

So me & this car... we have a history that goes way back.

I'd never actually driven it until this week, though.  Don't tell my Nissan, but a V6 sure does go when you hit the gas pedal...

But it's not all kicks and giggles.  This thing revolted on me!


You see... there isn't a door handle on the passengers side.  Don't ask me why.  That would be a question for my sister.

Then yesterday, I went outside, opened the car door, and the handle broke in my hands!  I couldn't get the stupid door open!


So I look at the car for a second and realize that I could be in a very bad spot.  At least I'm at home and not out somewhere, stranded.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention.  Josh is out of town this week.  Important to add that.

I try to go through the trunk.  No luck.  I try jiggling what's left of the door handle. I get pliers and try to pry anything from inside the door handle.  I contemplate opening the hood to see if there's a way in that way.


I also called Allstate Motor Club.  Immediately.  I can always cancel, but it takes them about 45 minutes to get there, usually.

They send a guy out who doesn't really know what he's doing, and he wasn't even funny!  I'm not sure I've ever met a lockout guy or tow truck drive that wasn't funny.

This guy had ZERO humor.  Yes, I yelled that.  After 5 minutes, he couldn't get it open and left.  I then called Allstate again and talked to another person in India.

At this point please start singing "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush" because that's exactly what happened.

Please read the customer service with an Indian accent.  They are really in India.

Me: "I called just a few minutes ago.  My door handles are broken and I need to get in my car."

CS: "Are you in a safe location?" & all that mumbo jumbo

"Yes"

"We can send you a tow truck right out."

"I don't need a tow truck."

"What do you need?"

"I need someone to come unlock my car."

"We can tow you to a locksmith."

"Can you just call around to other places and see if anyone will do it?"

"Sure, maam, please hold... [5 minute later]... Maam?  There is no one in your area that can do this."

"No one?  Do you have any suggestions?"

"No, maam.  Perhaps call the police in your area."

"Ooookkaaayyy..."

So after another 30 minutes of calling around, I decide to call back the company that had already been out here, just to request someone different.  They apparently magically have a locksmith on duty now and they'll call him to get a quote.  He calls me back within 30 minutes and says he's on his way.  I just need to call Allstate and have them approve it.

"Hey, I called about an hour ago about my door handles being broken on my car.  I called the company back that you sent out here earlier and they have another guy who can open it.  I just need you to call them and request the services."

"Maam, I will send you a tow truck out.  Are you still at [address]?"

"Why would I need a tow truck?"

"So we can tow you to a locksmith.  There are 7 in your area."

"Maam, I don't need to be towed to a locksmith.  They're all closed by this time of night-- we already checked."

[She explains all about towing to a locksmith.  And that surely they'll open back up in the morning.]

"Maam, I just need you to call this company and request their services again.  They have a guy who is already on his way, they just need it authorized."

[After more conversation like this, she finally calls the company, who says they don't have anyone who can help me.  At least, that's what the CS lady said.  There's truly no telling what she told the poor lady at the locksmith place.]

The whole night went like that.  I thought it must be me going crazy until a friend came over and laughed hysterically at one-sided phone conversations she was hearing.

I know I'm not the only one with crazy car stories... what are yours?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails