02 August 2010

Asheville: Buildings

I've always been one to appreciate architecture.  My dad owns a construction company and it is just amazing to me how they can build buildings from wood that hold together when you put furniture in them.  

Deep thoughts, huh?

At any rate, the stuff amazes me because, really, someone had to put the finishing touches on that cross at the top.


And who has to do the roofing?  What if there's a leak?


I believe I think too much.


Here's the Grove Arcade in downtown Asheville.  It's not really an arcade.  Not with games inside.  But there is a fudge shoppe.  And an awesome furniture store.  Just don't look at the prices.


But before you email me about being ignorant, here's the first two definitions of 'arcade:'

–noun
1.
Architecture .
a.
a series of arches supported on piers or columns.
b.
an arched, roofed-in gallery. Compare colonnade.
2.
an arched or covered passageway, usually with shops on each side.


Bingo.  Learn something new everyday, eh?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails