12 December 2011

34 weeks.

Hazel is about 4 3/4 pounds now (about the weight of an average cantaloupe) & roughly 18 inches long.  Overall I'm feeling pretty good.  Sure, it's difficult to pick things up off the ground, and rolling over in bed takes a little while, but overall, it's much better than it could be!  I just keep thinking back to the first 23 weeks or so when I was sick as a dog the entire time & I'm counting all of my blessings now!

We finally took a birthing class at the hospital.  Man, those are hard to sign up for!  I probably made about 10 calls overall to get signed up for the class.  Quite annoying, but I did find the class helpful.  Also annoying that the lady on the phone described the class much differently than it actually was.  I wanted to sign up for the Comfort Measures class at the same time & she discouraged me from doing so, saying they basically taught the same thing & other moms found the 2nd one to be repetitive.  Well... they didn't really go over comfort measures in this class other than a breathing exercise.  :/  And now, of course, it's too late to sign up for one!  Guess I'll be doing more internet research with that one.

In other big news, we're looking for a new OB.  Very disheartening to do so right at the last 6 weeks of pregnancy, and I'm not even sure we'll be able to find another one to take us in so late, but we were very discouraged with the last few visits, and I no longer feel comfortable continuing on with the doctors we've been working with.  After our last appointment on Friday, Josh & I both felt the same way.  :/

Every question we ask is met with a negative response.  They usually seem annoyed that we're asking a question & act like it's a huge inconvenience to take the time to answer it.  While I was asking the first question in our last appointment, the midwife actually got up and walked across the room & put her hand on the doorknob to leave!  She gave me a half-hearted answer, to which I re-asked the question in a different way to hopefully get a full answer/explanation.  At that point, she said, "I don't know how to explain it any more, so go to the CDC's website & search for it."  Then she went over to the sink, got a paper towel out of the holder, and wrote the web address on there.

I can't even make that up!  I still have the napkin!  So sadly, after many situations like that (thinking back, it's happened more than we realized), we've decided that we just need to look elsewhere.  Sure, I hired a doula, but it's not her job to be my doctor.  I should be able to trust my doctor.  And I feel that if I went into labor right now, it'd be a constant battle between us & the doctors.  In fact, I'd rather go into the hospital & get whichever random doctor happens to be there at the time than get one of our current doctors.  I don't expect butterflies & unicorns during labor, but I also don't expect a constant battle between myself & the doctors.  Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Sheyennew said...

I'll be praying you find a great doctor quickly. We had a similar situation with Whitney. I was SO unhappy with our dr. When I was pregnant with Gia, I had a different OB and LOVED them... a good doctor truly makes all the difference in the world. We had some scares at Gia's birth, and having a doctor who was both capable and compassionate truly saved a lot of potentially difficult troubles.

Related Posts with Thumbnails