27 August 2010

Valet... trash service?

Valet trash service?


Is that abuse of the word 'valet?'  I think so.

But let me explain, because I think this is totally ridiculous, and so do all my neighbors.  

You see, I live in an apartment complex.  And there are several dumpsters all around the place.  In our last complex there was one main compactor and it was always a wreck.  But in this place, with dumpsters strategically placed in convenient areas, it's not a big deal.


In fact, at first I thought it would be annoying to have a dumpster so close to our front door.  But turns out, it's freakin awesome!  It never stinks (until you get really close to it), and it's out of the way, but it's close enough to be oh-so-convenient.  And because it's so close, people don't throw trash everywhere-- they don't want their place looking all trashy!

In the picture above, the wall to the left is where our front door is located.  And you can see the green dumpsters right past the parking area.

Not. far. to. walk.



But really?  Now we have the trash right here next to our front door!  So pretty...

Forgive me, but isn't this a step backward in this particular scenario?

Me thinks so.  And my neighbors do, too!  We went to resign our lease and even the leasing agent said that people had gotten pretty irate about it.


Okay, so it's annoying, but it's not something to get irate about.  Until next year, at least, when they start charging us $17 a month for us.  Then I'll be pretty upset if I can't opt out (which I'm pretty sure you can't).  This year they gave us a freebie though.


And as long as we don't lose the actual trashcan, we don't have to use the service if we don't want to.

We'll try it out.  After all, it's free.  It's complete laziness, but it's free.

Now, for all of you that don't have a dumpster so close... this is a pretty cool service.  Wish we'd had it in our last apartment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had Valet trash service at my apartment in Chapel Hill. But we had dumpsters near all buildings too. I thought that it was strange at first, but it becomes pretty convenient. As long as everyone takes in their trashcan in the morning then it does not look bad. My apartment complex would charge people if they left their trash cans out during the day.

Jhon Marshal said...

Thanks for the post. Im a big fan of the blog, i've even put a little bookmark right on the tool bar of my Firefox you'll be happy to find out!
doorstep trash removal

Related Posts with Thumbnails