28 January 2010

I have to admit, I'm a bad mother. I have a favorite child. Don't get me wrong, I love all my "children" for their own qualities. Ellie (our cat) is adorable; she does the cutest things! Max is the sweet one; he loves to be pet, and will stay in one place for hours if it means he will be pet occasionally. But Jigsaw? Jigsaw is my baby. I've had him since I was in the 8th grade. He was born March 17, St. Patrick's Day. My brother owned his "mom" and my dad owned his "dad." Truthfully, they were a great pair. It was like they were married, and when Taz died after being bit by a Copperhead snake (he attacked it as it slithered near my family who was having a cook-out-- if he had not attacked it, it may have bitten someone in the family), Sweet Pea actually became depressed. She's never quite been the same-- very interesting.

I was in Washington, DC when he was born. My dad had promised that I could have the "pick of the litter." I just knew they were going to be born while I was gone. I called home from a pay phone and my dad told me they'd been born, and that he had mine picked out. He had already named him Jigsaw by the time I got home. He got his name because he had two pieces of white fur on his back that were shaped like Jigsaw puzzle pieces. I insisted that I would choose the "real" pick of the litter when I got home, but there was no changing my dad's mind, and I'm glad!

Jigsaw has been through a lot with me. I grew up, got my first boyfriend, started driving, went to college, got married, and moved to Atlanta and Greenville. There were times that he lived at my parents house without me, and when we moved to Atlanta he had to be kennel trained. I remember whenever a boyfriend would break up with me, I would cry to Jigsaw and he would be my support. He was my steady man through everything. :)

I've been through a lot with him, too. He has killed our family cat, multiple goats, and there was a time when he (and his mother) ran away for 2 weeks. He's been in so many fights I lost count. I know he sounds like a rough dog, but this wasn't all at once, and given the situations, it wasn't all that outlandish.

At this point in his life, Jigsaw follows me wherever I go. If I go to the bathroom, he's waiting at the door, and if I don't close it all the way, guess who peeks his head it to wait for me. It's cute how he has to be by my side at all times. He's a really great dog-- no more fights, and he cuddles with the cat now. Also, whenever I shed a tear, he jumps in my lap. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm crying, or I'm crying because I'm happy, or at a sad movie. He's always there. He hurts with me.

I know he's getting older... he'll be 10 this year. It makes me sad because I will be absolutely destroyed when he is gone. But it's best to appreciate him while he's here. I love that dog so much!

*notice the "modesty heart" provided by Picnik.com

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails